In this article, we will learn how we can turn our Android phone into a Bootable USB drive. So by doing so, we can just use our Android smartphone to install OS on our computers.
But are you now wondering why do we even want to do that in the first place? What are we going to gain by doing so? Well I agree! These are all valid questions you are asking. So let me first explain to you about the advantages of that.
Sounds good? Great! Then let us get started!
Advantages of turning Android smartphone into a bootable USB drive
So here are some of the advantages I can think of in turning our Android into a bootable USB drive:
- As we carry our smartphones with us every where we go, a bootable USB drive will be there with us all the time.
- Chances of losing a bootable USB drive becomes less – If we created a separate bootable OS USB drive, there is a high change of us losing it. But if we have it on our smartphones, chances of losing it reduces greatly. Right?
- Download new OS ISO images on the fly – Now what do we mean by that? You see, if we are using a USB pen drive as a bootable device, we can boot only those OS images that are already stored in it. But if we want to install a new OS, we cant, right? But on the other hand, if we use our Android smartphone as a bootable drive, we can download new OS ISO images from the internet on the fly, directly onto our smartphone. Now, that is a cool thing to be able to do, right? 😉
So now that we know how an Android smartphone bootable USB drive is beneficial, let us see how we can create one.
How To Turn Your Android Phone Into A Bootable USB?
There are many Android apps on the Google Playstore that we can use to turn our Android Phone into a bootable USB drive. But the most famous one is called the DriveDroid.
The main advantage of this app is that it provides you with many ISO images that you can download directly. Some of the ISO images that DriveDroid provides includes – Arch Linux, Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD ISOs and many more.
So we will be using this Android app to use our smartphone as a bootable USB drive.
Here are the steps you need to take to turn Android Phone into a Bootable USB:
- Install The App From The Google Playstore: Now, as we discussed earlier in the article, go ahead and install the app from the Android Playstore.
- Connect The Android Smartphone Into Your Computer Using USB: Make sure that your smartphone is connected in USB MTP mode.
- Open the App On Your Smartphone: Click and open the Android app on your smartphone.
- Click On the ‘+’ button and select “Create Blank Image”: This is where you will be creating your bootable USB Drive space.
- Set A Bootable Image Name & Its Size: This is where you will be setting the name and size of the boot space. Make sure that the size you set is equal to or greater than the ISO file size. Click the Create button at last.
- Select An OS ISO Image To Burn Into The USB Space: This is the final step where we choose the OS image we want to burn into our bootable USB space.
Once you have followed the above steps, you should a bootable USB drive as part of your Android smartphone.
How To Boot An ISO Image From Android Smartphone
So that is it! Those were the only steps you had to take to create a bootable OS on your smartphone. Now anytime you want to boot a computer using this USB bootable drive, just follow these steps:
- Plug in your smartphone to the computer you want to boot, using a USB cable.
- Power ON the computer and go to its BIOS menu by pressing F2 or the F10 key as mentioned on the computer screen.
- Go to the Boot Priority and change it to Boot From USB to select your Android smartphone.
That is it. From here on, your PC should boot just like how it would from any USB bootable device.
So these days, your Android smartphone has become the swiss army knife of technology. You can use it to do many things that required several gadgets earlier.
In this blog, we try to explore all the different ways we can use our smartphones to make our lives better. So if you liked what you read, bookmark muddoo.com on your browser and visit it regularly to read more content like this.
Also, if you have any questions or suggestions for our website, please do leave a comment below. We will be delighted to know what you think! So until next time, cya and take care!